OSGi has the reputation to be complex and hard! It is somehow. BUT ... it is also
- a robust and stable technology, which has evolved and matured over the years
- deals with many challenges you are facing in distributed and modular systems
- has an extremely improved tooling for Java and OSGi named bndtools
To relieve the pain in getting started and allow a simple start, the OSGi alliance has created enRoute.
enRoute is an OSGi distribution. You can compare it with linux distributions. You have a common core technology (OSGi in this case) and a compilation of specific implementations inside. This allows you to focus on evaluating, learning and kick-starting your OSGi experience.
This talks shows you some of the capabilities of enRoute and bndtools to develop IoT applications on a Raspberry Pi.
You will learn how to setup your workbench for development of OSGi applications.
- preparation of the hardware target - Raspberry Pi
- develop an OSGi based application in Eclipse with bndtools
- deploy and run the app on the Raspberry Pi
- development, instant deployment and remote debugging from your IDE
After the session you should be capable of using your RasPi for private IoT projects ;-)